Saturday, June 3, 2017

Getting through grad school - why tutoring is a great option!

We all know grad school is hard... we at Delphi Tutors went through it too! Getting a Master's or a Doctorate is a challenging commitment for many reasons, beyond just the academic challenge. Busy schedules combined with financial pressures are major stress-increasing factors that plague many grad students during their studies.

However, running a small tutoring operation alongside your studies and research can be an excellent way to earn extra money and gain entrepreneurial experience!  It is also very rewarding to help students achieve their goals and progress on a personal level.  I firmly believe tutoring to be the most time effective and flexible solution available to anyone in grad school hoping to earn a few extra bucks and enrich their time in school... but it must be done right!

In this blog, I'm going to share my experience with successfully growing a small tutoring operation during my time in grad school (4 years in the UK).  Giving only 1-2 hours a night, I doubled my income and had a very rewarding experience both watching my students grow and gaining the skills needed to run a small business, which greatly increased my options after grad school.  I've found these skills extremely helpful later in life as a serial entrepreneur; I've even found that carefully selecting students has helped me consolidate my knowledge as a researcher.

The tutoring business is rapidly expanding globally:

Tutoring is a $6 to $8 billion industry” - Eric Clark, president-elect of the National Tutoring Association

This series of blog posts is designed to share my experiences with growing a successful tutor business so you can too. A few simple concepts can optimize your methods and help you get the very most out of tutoring for your students and for yourself.

#tutor #whyitutor #whydelphi

No comments:

Post a Comment